Hi there! My name is Petra Martel and I’m the Marketing Assistant/Junior Designer in the Marketing and Web Presence Department of Red River College in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I’m a honours graduate of Red River’s Digital Media Design program, and have been working with RRC since graduating in 2013. While my major in school was Web Design, I have a passion for Graphic Design in all its forms. I have a strong eye for design, enjoy branding and print production and specialize in printed goods like brochures and publications.
This site serves as an online collection of the various projects I work on at RRC, as well as showcasing some of the work that I completed while I was still a student.
I work full-time with Red River College, so I am not actively seeking out freelance work at the moment. However if you have a possible project that you would like to discuss feel free to send me a message and I’ll see if I can help you out.
Thanks for stopping by, have a great day!
What I Do:
- Graphic Design
- Visual Identity Standards
- Print Production
- Brochures | Posters | Cards
- Cases for Support
- Web Design
- HTML | CSS | Wordpress
- Adobe InDesign 95%
- Adobe Photoshop 85%
- Adobe Illustrator 75%
Focus of Work:
- Graphic Design 70%
- Branding 20%
- Web Design 10%
- Working with multiple client types: single clients, groups, committees and partnerships
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Managing an ever-changing workload, meeting all design and production deadlines as required
Digital Media Design | Red River College | Winnipeg, MB | 2013
• Also focused on branding, packaging, logo/wordmark creation, lettering and general graphic design.
• Worked with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere Pro, Komodo Edit, Autodesk Maya, and Final Cut Pro.
• Gained experience in 3D animation, video production, photography and communications.
• Graduating April 2013
Graduated with Honors | Oak Park High School |Winnipeg, MB | 2010
• Focused on developing skills in the Fine Arts program.
• Volunteered with the Art Committee and Oak Park Buddy program.
• Maintained Honor Roll through grades 7-12.
Marketing Assistant | Red River College | Winnipeg, MB | May 2013 – Present
• Assisting Senior Graphic Designers with large projects
• Designing and producing print media including advertisements, brochures, cases for support, folders, posters and publications
• Maintaining and developing brand standards and visual identity guidelines
• High-volume work environment, many concurrent projects
Data Entry | kiSquared | Winnipeg, MB | Oct 2012 – May 2013
• Correcting, sorting and keying in market research data.
• Assisting in printing and distributing materials to staff.
• Providing general office help.
Sales Associate | The Children’s Place | Winnipeg, MB | July 2012 – November 2012
• Processing sales for customers.
• Assisting customers in finding products and accessories.
• Visually merchandising and re-stocking the store.
• Maintaining organization and cleanliness of stock in the store.
• Assisting in loss prevention.
Customer Service Associate | Toys”R” Us | Winnipeg, MB | March 2011 – June 2012
• Handling returns, exchanges, inquiries and phone calls.
• Operating the cash/return register and processing related paperwork.
• Keeping store performance at it’s best by monitoring sales and cashier performance.
• Organizing, merchandising and cleaning the store.
• Assisting new cashiers in their training.
Pet Counsellor | Petland | Winnipeg, MB | July 2010 – February 2011
• Caring for the well-being of a wide array of animals.
• Assisting customers in finding the right products for their needs.
• Educating current and future pet owners about the animals they care for or are interested in.
• Operating the cash register, completing paperwork and addressing inquiries.
• Following proper sanitation procedures and health guidelines.
• Fluent in both English and German.
• Adept at using Adobe software suite and Microsoft Office programs.
• Hand coding XHTML, HTML5 and CSS with Komodo Edit.
• Comfortable using grid frameworks (960, Zurb Foundation), as well as WordPress.
• Effective at interpersonal communication and teamwork.
• Comfortable working as part of a team or individually.
• Able to pick up new technology, software or working methods quickly.
Available upon request.